• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brisbane Animania Brawl Tournament - September 20th - all over, red rover

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Thread for the tournament can be found here on their forums:
http://forum.animania.net.au/index.php?topic=5458.0

159 Roma Street
Brisbane, 4000

Date: Saturday, 20 September 2008
Opening hours: From 10am - 4pm.

Animania Festival Brisbane September will be held at the Holiday Inn on Roma Street, located next door to the Brisbane Transit Centre. This convenient venue is located near beautiful parklands and only a short walk to the central business district, theatres and major shopping mall.

The venue accessible by public transport and, for those driving, parking is available on site at a reasonable daily rate.

As long as Melbourne is going to be holding an anime convention scrub tourney, I figured we'd best match their efforts!

An Email I just shot out to Animania said:
Hello, my name is Anthony Smith.
I'm writing to you in regards to the 'gamers room' you have set up for this September's Animania in Brisbane. (I think the website has a typo because it still says May).

I understand that previously you have run 'Super Smash Bros. Melee' as a tournament game. As I'm sure it is known, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, its successor on the Wii, is a very popular game, and I would like to volunteer myself for the co-ordination of a tournament for Brawl should Animania decide to host one.

I'm a Tournament Director for Brawl (And Melee) in South East Queensland, and the job of running these tournaments is one I devote alot of time and energy to making work.

I have previously directed, or helped direct a number of smash tournaments, reaching as far back as 2005, and I would like to offer my services to you with the hope of expanding the tournament scene for this franchise.

An example of the kinds of tournaments I usually run Smash-wise can be found here:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=182901

Which has attracted interest from both Sydney and Melbourne as far as tournament goers are.

I understand that there are many things to consider (Or at least, I take into consideration) when it comes to smash tournaments, especially when it comes to the casual play demographic Animania I'm sure would encourage. By this I mean, a tournament without strict rules, and that could feasibly be run within the time frame available.

So I would propose that I, and my usual staff (Whom all work for no profit, myself included) put forward a draft for a possible smash tournament this coming Brisbane Animania.

I would very like to know:
*How many stations (Wii's + TV's) we could set up.
*How much time we would have to run the tournament in.

In regards to setting up stations, we would endeavour to provide as much of our own equipment as possible.

Thank you very much for you time.
I very much look forward to your reply.

Kind Regards
Anthony Smith
Before anybody says anything. Keep in mind that this is a scrub tourney. Therefore items = A-OK.

This time we won't be playing on lagfest TVs.

http://animania.net.au/2008/brisbane-september/festival-info

Also read this, it makes baby Woxy cry.

xXArrowXx

Smash Champion
lol it makes me cry 2... what is wrong with these random *** rules XD

i wanna go but its meele, hope the email goes well vyse.

its like ganondorf only, hammers only, brinstar, sudden death, techs only.... >.>'

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
lol it makes me cry 2... what is wrong with these random *** rules XD

i wanna go but its meele, hope the email goes well vyse.

its like ganondorf only, hammers only, brinstar, sudden death, techs only.... >.>'
Please note the emphasis I put on 'Brawl' being the game played, not melee.

<3

Sirias

Smash Champion
Positive thinking is for optimists.
What do you think, with me saying that, we are? d:
Olololo.
PESSIMISM TOWARDS SMASH. (brawl rather)
GRRR.

Melee yay. <3

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
1. They're having Brawl, not Melee, they haven't changed their website yet (There are a lot of oversights on their website).

2. They've comfirmed receiving my Emails and have promised to get back to me soon, they have just been too busy at the moment.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
OKAY, this is going to happen!

Dear Anthony,

Thank you for your patience.

Just a couple of things to get the ball rolling.

1. how many staff would you require on site?
2. how many consoles/TV will you be brining? What size TVs? (We can probably accommodate upto 4 stations depending on the size).
3. The comps we have are usually limited to 1 or 2 hours with the other times being freeplay.

Kind Regards,
Louis

Louis Lee
So I'd say that I could probably run the tournament myself, although I think if I had two people on hand to help, that'd be good.

I'd say we go with as many stations as they'll let us bring. We'll try for 5, but if we have no room, then poopy.

1 to 2 hours?
*sigh*

I guess it's going to be 4-way FFA til we get a top 32.

At this point it'd be neutrals only.
1 v 1, one round only, extending to 3 rounds for semi-finals to grand finals.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
I just sent off this email in reply.

My email reply said:
Hello Louis.

No worries about the wait, I understand that the Animania staff's time is precious, especially as we approach the date of the event.

In regards to your questions:

1. I believe I would be able to direct the entire tournament myself. However, as I see fit, I'll use my own informed staff to assist people in need of help, rules clarification, etc. Also for setting up the tournament bracket, I have my own tournament software which I'll load onto a laptop which I'll provide.

2. I don't have exact measurements on the TV's we'll provide, but I'd imagine they will be anywhere from 20 to 40 inches in screen size. We'll probably bring roughly 5-6 tv's and wii's, and see what we can do. Generally speaking, there is a lot of support for the South East Competitive Smash Bros, and so we can provide quite a number of TV's.

3. We'll probably want to push for the longest time possible for the competition. Most tournaments I've run don't run longer than 3 and a half hours per tournament, so we'll have to create a format that will accomodate for time restrictions.

My proposal is this:

Once registration has finished for the tournament, we'll then proceed with 4-way 'free for all - 2 minute Time match' rounds until we have a bracket of approximately 32 players. Items on low, All stages available from random select.

From there, I propose a Single/Double elimination bracket (Single is likely depending on time constraints), where entrants will face each other in 1 on 1, Stock matches, choosing a random stage from a select list of 'neutral' stages to ensure fairness.

Players will progress through the elimination bracket until a winner is found.

With 32 players participating in a double elimination bracket, the tournament would probably last 2 to 3 hours (Including free for all rounds). If a 2 to 3 hour tournament schedule is unacceptable, making the second phase of the tournament a single elimination tournament would halve that time, bringing the tournament down in time to under 2 hours.

I will draw up a much more detailed set of rules and schedule layout later on, but this is a general outline for now.

How does this sound?

Kind Regards
Anthony Smith
(Vyse on the forums)

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
Yer but supanova was worth going too, this is like 5 stalls of **** you don't want, cosplay parade consisting of the 3 people that actually cosplayed and having more than 5 minutes to do everything.

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
Yer but supanova was worth going too, this is like 5 stalls of **** you don't want, cosplay parade consisting of the 3 people that actually cosplayed and having more than 5 minutes to do everything.
Well, it's our chance to promote the Smash Scene. I'm willing to (foolishly) spend $25 in order to do so :)

Sieg

Smash Champion
Hay guys I brought this cardboard tube and it kind of looks like a sword and I reckon I can do a Cloud cosplay even though I have brown hair and looks like a *** and omg look at that kid over there he has a paper gun omg it must have taken him hours to make omg its got awesome texta colour on it.

Good times.

Also America > all for anything anime.

Sirias

Smash Champion
I dunno it doesn't seem worth it.
Still, something to do on the dates. :D
Animania, what else is it about? UYUCK AYUCK~

Pff.
Japan > All.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hay guys I brought this cardboard tube and it kind of looks like a sword and I reckon I can do a Cloud cosplay even though I have brown hair and looks like a *** and omg look at that kid over there he has a paper gun omg it must have taken him hours to make omg its got awesome texta colour on it.

Good times.

Also America > all for anything anime.
Japan ****s on America's cosplay even on a weekly basis - just go to the Harajuku Bridge on weekends for the real deal

Sieg

Smash Champion
Note that when I say that I mean America for manga that I can read.

Also I was talking about the cosplayers at Animania.

Get that Rat

Smash Lord
I think Sieg just failed hard.

Anyone agree for that fail statement that America actually >'s something?

Y/N

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
This pretty much sums up America vs. Japan when it comes to Japanese culture

America:

Actually this one's pretty funny lol

Japan:

case closed :)

Sirias

Smash Champion
Doubtful. Very doubtful.

I think America wins.
I don't know about you guys but those massive bodies just... MM!
Can't contain my overwhelming desire for them, OH YES!

Asians look too much like anime/games, that's why they win.
That's unfair.

WHY ARE THEY ALL SO FRIGGIN' WHITE/PASTEY!
Man... All except the 2nd American one and last Japanese one.

Sieg

Smash Champion
I'm not talking about the god**** cosplay cause I know it sucks!

Geez lol.

Sieg

Smash Champion
Note that when I say that I mean America for manga that I can read.

Also I was talking about the cosplayers at Animania.

Do I even need to dignify that with a response?

I wish people would read.

Top Bottom