• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do knockback platform fighters NEED the variety of i-frame dodges that Smash has?

Quillion

Smash Hero
...because the more I learn about traditional fighters, the more I learn that most of them don't have such. The closest most of them have are wake-ups, and that's only if you get knocked down by a move.

And it's honestly for good reason; i-frame dodges on command just add a lot of cheesy waiting to the game. Now don't get me wrong; that's great for 1P/PvE games, but not so much for PvP. There's a reason why Soulsborne, despite being far more balanced as an RPG, also has far less chance as an eSport than Pokémon.

Really, the more I think about it, the more i-frame dodges as a whole are a detriment to Smash. I've been opposed to air dodging for a while now, but it really seems that even the criticisms I have of air dodging apply to sidestepping and rolling too. There's a reason why both 64 and Melee made rolling very punishable to begin with.

But yeah, while i-frame dodges are probably too ingrained in Smash now, I think it would be best for the knockback platform fighter genre to not have them.

Top Bottom