• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
How come Joker gets to come back because of Sonic but it doesn’t work the other way around when the Belmonts get in despite Snake getting in first? :nifty:

Also, Snake Eater remake keeps him relavent, imo, even if it is on other console. Hell, throw in a Naked Snake alt costume. An Echo would also be cool but I can already hear the “erm but he looks too similar” comment coming
Well, I do think Snake has a good shot at coming back! The problem is Konami may not be in the same mindset since they've cut him before despite the fact that they get paid for it, lol.

Really it's just down to there being precedent for Snake is all.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Well, I do think Snake has a good shot at coming back! The problem is Konami may not be in the same mindset since they've cut him before despite the fact that they get paid for it, lol.

Really it's just down to there being precedent for Snake is all.
Implying Snake being cut was Konami not allowing it and not simply Sakurai/Nintendo just not putting the effort in re-obtaining the license.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Implying Snake being cut was Konami not allowing it and not simply Sakurai/Nintendo just not putting the effort in re-obtaining the license.
That's also true! Lots of things we're not certain of with Snake.

Like I said, I do think he has a good shot, but precedent means I wouldn't be TOO surprised if he was, basically.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
That's also true! Lots of things we're not certain of with Snake.

Like I said, I do think he has a good shot, but precedent means I wouldn't be TOO surprised if he was, basically.
This much is true, though it extends to most third parties. At any given point, the planning stages could simply not include certain guests for whatever reason.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Let's say your favorite series already reppy in smash got ALL the characters you'd want in as playable fighters, what would it look like?
Me;.
Xenoblade:
Shulk
Fiora
Melia
Elma
Rex with Pyra and Mythra
Pyra/Mythra solo
Malos
Nia stance change between driver and blade.
Tora and Poppi
Lora and Jin
Noah
Mio
Ethel
Matthew
Kirby
King Dedede
Meta Knight
Bandana Waddle Dee
Gooey
Ribbon and Adeleine
Magolor
Animal Friends (all 6-in-1-character)
Chef Kawasaki
---
Number one reason Zagreus should be a base game character lol. Though at the very least his trailer would definitely feature the Kid Icarus cast either way, Hades definitely really fits perfectly into Smash.
I'm still surprised Zagreus' Spirit Battle didn't involve his soul possessing that of a tan-skinned Dark Pit puppet clone. Like, D.P. was RIGHT there, and honestly? Whenever I see Zag, I can't help but think of that alt. in particular.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Unrelated opinion regarding Steve— if the crafting is standardized similar to how the Pikmin changed, a resource-gathering mechanic could apply to other characters.

1715804379213.gif

pitchfulprocessing

Smash Apprentice
Reminds me

I feel like this was kind of self-evident, much as I love Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter, but interesting to know for sure. Smash has 2/3, so maybe they'll try going for some kind of Yakuza/Like A Dragon representation next, it would make plenty of sense. Ichiban needs a trailer featuring Hero.

Unrelated opinion regarding Steve— if the crafting is standardized similar to how the Pikmin changed, a resource-gathering mechanic could apply to other characters.

Terrarian-stocks will rise. Might as well make the most out of all that Steve code.

GoldenYuiitusin

Smash Ace
Reminds me

I feel like this was kind of self-evident, much as I love Puyo Puyo and Virtua Fighter, but interesting to know for sure. Smash has 2/3, so maybe they'll try going for some kind of Yakuza/Like A Dragon representation next, it would make plenty of sense. Ichiban needs a trailer featuring Hero.
unknown-4.png

It's his time.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
As far as Konami, the particularly nasty context of their relationship breakdown with Kojima likely played a factor in the lack of Snake in 4. Whether they simply were uncomfortable with spotlighting him in Smash or Nintendo simply didn't want to get in the middle an increasingly ugly PR situation with Metal Gear is unknown, but both reasons (or even a combination of the two) would entirely make sense.

In the current market, I'd say Konami would be completely open to which ever fighter Nintendo and/or Sakurai wanted. They've gotten really big on crossovers (heck a Castlevania Death by Daylight chapter was announced this week) and have all the more reason to keep their IP's highlighted in Smash. I'm actually thinking their representation could increase; even a loss of a Belmont could easily be compensated by the inclusion of Alucard, and Bomberman is the most consistent active franchise they have in the West that he honestly feels like a wholly logical selection for the next game.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I always found it kinda weird that they don't really do any flying in Smash. It feels like a big enough part of their home game that its absence is notable, to me at least.

Also it would make them more fun to play.
could you not argue the same for kirby?

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
In the current market, I'd say Konami would be completely open to which ever fighter Nintendo and/or Sakurai wanted. They've gotten really big on crossovers (heck a Castlevania Death by Daylight chapter was announced this week) and have all the more reason to keep their IP's highlighted in Smash. I'm actually thinking their representation could increase; even a loss of a Belmont could easily be compensated by the inclusion of Alucard, and Bomberman is the most consistent active franchise they have in the West that he honestly feels like a wholly logical selection for the next game.
I would honestly love if we got Bomberman, especially if his alt colors are the others from like Bomberman R, like each has a different face (Blue Bomber is tired-looking, Yellow Bomber has an excited look on his face) and they have slight aesthetic differences like Aqua Bomber's ribbons and Pink Bomber's heart shapes, kinda like an easier to manage Bowser Jr. and Koopalings, since there's exactly 8 of them. Could maybe even give them different idles if they really wanted to, I think.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I'm still in the "Nintendo will try to bring back every third-party in Ultimate and only scrap them if they can't reach a deal with the licensor and/or devs" camp.

Will it be expensive? Yup, but this is also the series that went out of its way to license additional .pngs spirits from third parties three years after the game stopped receiving substantial support. They're clearly not afraid to bust out the champagne, especially with Ultimate being the third best-selling Switch game of all time.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
I always felt the obvious course of action is to make an Ichiban spirit battle where you fight Hero.

That is of course if stuff like spirit battles and Dragon quest come back to smash bros.

Top Bottom