• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sigma Busters (Name Pending): Official Discussion Thread

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
True, true, maybe use other Japanese aesthetics in her design, not just explicitly sumo, she is also based off the Japanese giant hornet btw.
I do have another suggestion though. Rather than being solely based on a hornet, why not incorporate elements of the honey pot ant? Ants follow similar hierarchies to bees and the "honey pot" part could be reincorporated into Vespa's design as her abdomen/tail. This is where she would produce the Ambrosium and also serve as her weak point to tie into the "bulky front/weak behind" gimmick.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I do have another suggestion though. Rather than being solely based on a hornet, why not incorporate elements of the honey pot ant? Ants follow similar hierarchies to bees and the "honey pot" part could be reincorporated into Vespa's design as her abdomen/tail. This is where she would produce the Ambrosium and also serve as her weak point to tie into the "bulky front/weak behind" gimmick.
Okay I am hearing you out on this one, but I want to make an addition to that addition. Why not loosely base her general build on of all characters, Henry J Waternoose from Monster's Inc.
1717636903599.png

Now this isn't an exact build, far from it, but the ideas you gave just really reminded me of his build, I like to showcase stats and abilities in physical traits. If we are having an engorged abdomen for Abrosium on top of her pronounced gut, having 4 legs to support that massive frame would make sense (and the other 2 legs would be her arms) Waternoose as shown in the film was fast and strong, which is what I am going for with Vespa. It's not a full inspiration or emulation, but something to look into when making the next design sketches. So yeah just look at some core design elements of Waternoose and tell me if any of them would work for the design. What do you think?

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Okay I am hearing you out on this one, but I want to make an addition to that addition. Why not loosely base her general build on of all characters, Henry J Waternoose from Monster's Inc.
View attachment 390695
Now this isn't an exact build, far from it, but the ideas you gave just really reminded me of his build, I like to showcase stats and abilities in physical traits. If we are having an engorged abdomen for Abrosium on top of her pronounced gut, having 4 legs to support that massive frame would make sense (and the other 2 legs would be her arms) Waternoose as shown in the film was fast and strong, which is what I am going for with Vespa. It's not a full inspiration or emulation, but something to look into when making the next design sketches. So yeah just look at some core design elements of Waternoose and tell me if any of them would work for the design. What do you think?
I'm going have to disagree here. This sort of build drastically changes the way Vespa would need to animate and might be less suited for the sumo inspired design. Plus, the whole crabby/actual insecty look is already the Myten Queen's thing and she's the creepy, parasite thing. Since Vespa's a benevolent leader/gentle giant type of character, I want to focus on making her cute.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I'm going have to disagree here. This sort of build drastically changes the way Vespa would need to animate and might be less suited for the sumo inspired design. Plus, the whole crabby/actual insecty look is already the Myten Queen's thing and she's the creepy, parasite thing. Since Vespa's a benevolent leader/gentle giant type of character, I want to focus on making her cute.
Yeah just make the best design you can, and ill comment.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
DEV UPDATE - The new physics system is not crashing the game anymore, the bad news is that I'm trying to figure out why my character isn't moving, coding is fun.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Had some ideas to flesh out Apidon the planet, I think it would be cool if the dominant species of plantlife was fungus instead, giant mushrooms are carved out into large hives, with the spores being melted into a thick cream sauce. There could be mines for truffles, where the Apidon Wasps would go underground to dig up giant rare truffles. The oceans would be highly oily due to all the mycelium in the water supply, and there would be oil drills that dig up not petroleum oil, but cooking oil, and the seabeds have salt mines. Basically, this planet mines spice, but literal spice, making it a top tourist planet, with the largest restaurant in the galaxy orbiting the planet as a satellite. How does that sound?

Most of the animals are either giant living fungi, something like the Puffstool from Pikmin, and giant beasts with highly developed stomachs and teeth. One of the most infamous enemies is the Gripperbiter, a maw on a pair of from legs that bury themselves in the ground and latch onto people that step onto their territory, an infamous pest on the planet.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
This is a perfect design, actually, I don't know if her kit would need changes if this is the final design, what's your opinion on that matter.

ALSO GRAVITY WORKS AGAIN, AH YEAH I AM SO BACK

Also I am curious what's your cultural inspirations behind the artwork; I see a lot of origins, especially a few asian ones, though I can't put my finger on it.

Another thing, which is the better name for the smuggling ring that kidnapped Kowalski, Ahab's family is in debt too, and Chell may or may not be part of, Black Gold Gang. Astral Raptors, or Fang and Claw Syndacate, any other better names.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
This is a perfect design, actually, I don't know if her kit would need changes if this is the final design, what's your opinion on that matter.

ALSO GRAVITY WORKS AGAIN, AH YEAH I AM SO BACK

Also I am curious what's your cultural inspirations behind the artwork; I see a lot of origins, especially a few asian ones, though I can't put my finger on it.

Another thing, which is the better name for the smuggling ring that kidnapped Kowalski, Ahab's family is in debt too, and Chell may or may not be part of, Black Gold Gang. Astral Raptors, or Fang and Claw Syndacate, any other better names.
It'll probably need a handful of changes, but I'll go over those in the move set review/rework.

Congrats on restoring gravity.

My art is primarily eastern inspired but it's a blend overall. I like a lot of Japanese artists, especially a lot of the ones that work/worked with Capcom and SNK for a lot of their fighting games. Kinu Nishimura, Bengus, Shinkiro, etc. I also like western art in superhero comics and the like. Plus, a plethora of independent artists from both sides who are in many cases also influenced by each other.

Don't know about a name for the ring honestly, I'll have to think about it. If you can give me more details about what they do, maybe some prominent members, where they're based in and primarily operate, etc. I can try to come up with something fitting. I did have something to add with Chell in particular but that'll be part of a coming post.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
It'll probably need a handful of changes, but I'll go over those in the move set review/rework.

Congrats on restoring gravity.

My art is primarily eastern inspired but it's a blend overall. I like a lot of Japanese artists, especially a lot of the ones that work/worked with Capcom and SNK for a lot of their fighting games. Kinu Nishimura, Bengus, Shinkiro, etc. I also like western art in superhero comics and the like. Plus, a plethora of independent artists from both sides who are in many cases also influenced by each other.

Don't know about a name for the ring honestly, I'll have to think about it. If you can give me more details about what they do, maybe some prominent members, where they're based in and primarily operate, etc. I can try to come up with something fitting. I did have something to add with Chell in particular but that'll be part of a coming post.
My idea was that it was less of a singular ring and instead a whole council or crime syndicates that act as a shadowy mirror to the unified galactic government; each ring were to specialize in one niche illegalized by the goverment from animal smuggling to assassination to substance trade. Chell is not specifically aligned to the syndicates, moreso a very good hunter to hunt down a specific target, largely to satiate her love of the hunt that her larger species rejects as a whole. She has some moral standards, mainly not hunting sentients, which comes into conflict with the ambiguously sentient Kowalski. Ahab is unwillignly involved in underground boxing, unwillingly because he has to pay off debt his parents caused and subsequently put upon him. Tamm is also a target of animal smugglers since the dust she produces is a key ingredient of Puffdust, an illegal substance. Overall each syndicate does crimes, but they keep to their own bubble and don't try to encroach on the other syndicate's dealings, they try to keep out of each other's business basically.

I don't know if that sounds overly edgy or not.

One fighter concept I do want to establish is an unrepentant mobster, a truly despicable people someone can love to hate, with how there isn't a true villain this fighter would receive the audience's hatred for how unrepentantly cruel they are. To complement this they will be based off an animal everyone hates, like Chihuahuas, Seagulls, or Canadian Geese, whichever one boils people's blood more. Geese probably.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
One fighter concept I do want to establish is an unrepentant mobster, a truly despicable people someone can love to hate, with how there isn't a true villain this fighter would receive the audience's hatred for how unrepentantly cruel they are. To complement this they will be based off an animal everyone hates, like Chihuahuas, Seagulls, or Canadian Geese, whichever one boils people's blood more. Geese probably.
Not what I was expecting but honestly seems like a pretty funny idea.

Regarding Chell and the Syndicate, part of the coming post is a character who I made close to a month ago now.

Deran, a bounty hunter who takes jobs for both the law and crime rings alike. He's worked both with and against Chell in the past, developing a sort of one-sided rivalry. He sees her as a sort of acquaintance though doesn't get very far given her more stoic nature.

He's got a mostly complete move set which I'll be posting later in the week.

Screenshot 2024-06-09 021151.png

As for the latter idea, I actually already had two characters in the works. A loan shark mob boss (an existing character of mine I'd shelved) to serve as a villain/boss character. He's only existed in text form as I haven't drawn him yet, but he also has a mostly complete move set as he was intended for a previous platfighter idea too.

The other is still just a basic concept, being a true villainess character to fulfill the role of the ruthless huntress/femme fatale/assassin style character. I'll definitely try using the animals you listed to play around with her design. Makes for an interesting direction overall from what I was originally looking toward.

Given the cowboy/stockman-based design on Chell, over time I wound up envisioning her as a more heroic sort of character though still in the grey overall given her profession. Sort of anti-hero-like in a way. You could say Chell is like a slightly softer version of The Man With No Name while Deran is like a more brash Han Solo.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Not what I was expecting but honestly seems like a pretty funny idea.

Regarding Chell and the Syndicate, part of the coming post is a character who I made close to a month ago now.

Deran, a bounty hunter who takes jobs for both the law and crime rings alike. He's worked both with and against Chell in the past, developing a sort of one-sided rivalry. He sees her as a sort of acquaintance though doesn't get very far given her more stoic nature.

He's got a mostly complete move set which I'll be posting later in the week.

View attachment 390841

As for the latter idea, I actually already had two characters in the works. A loan shark mob boss (an existing character of mine I'd shelved) to serve as a villain/boss character. He's only existed in text form as I haven't drawn him yet, but he also has a mostly complete move set as he was intended for a previous platfighter idea too.

The other is still just a basic concept, being a true villainess character to fulfill the role of the ruthless huntress/femme fatale/assassin style character. I'll definitely try using the animals you listed to play around with her design. Makes for an interesting direction overall from what I was originally looking toward.

Given the cowboy/stockman-based design on Chell, over time I wound up envisioning her as a more heroic sort of character though still in the grey overall given her profession. Sort of anti-hero-like in a way. You could say Chell is like a slightly softer version of The Man With No Name while Deran is like a more brash Han Solo.
Yeah I always like the honorable criminals despicable criminals dynamic, why do you think Golden WInd is peak. Also crocodiles are peak too, I imagine his muscular build can allow him to do some potent shoulder bashes, he can have a gun with powerful bullets but needing to reload to use them again, and maybe use his muscular tail as a command grab, that's just what I have in mind.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Yeah I always like the honorable criminals despicable criminals dynamic, why do you think Golden WInd is peak. Also crocodiles are peak too, I imagine his muscular build can allow him to do some potent shoulder bashes, he can have a gun with powerful bullets but needing to reload to use them again, and maybe use his muscular tail as a command grab, that's just what I have in mind.
Shoulder bashes and reloading his revolver are actually already part of the move set. One of the goals in creating him was in order to fit some of the concepts you'd originally written for Chell that I cut from her rework. Since you'd originally crammed so much into her moves, I thought it'd be a waste not to revisit those ideas with a new character. I chose a burly croc both to fit those moves and to compliment her more humanoid but snake-like design. He's a male counterpart who is also reptilian but more overtly animal in design.

He also recycles some of the appearance requests you'd made like the necklace made from various species' teeth.

You guessed half right on the command grab though. He does make use of his tail for some attacks, but his command grab is actually inspired by a wrestling move called the dragon screw. A wrestler grabs an opponent's leg and then spins while dropping to the ground to flip them over.

Then it combines that with how crocodiles will actually fight (and mutilate) each other (and prey) by biting down on a leg and rolling over until they break or tear the limb off.

So, in this case, it's a forward lunge that has Deran bite down and lock the opponent in his jaws and then drop in a screw motion to slam them down with him.

Closest comparison is Zangief's Tundra Storm move in SFV/6.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
Shoulder bashes and reloading his revolver are actually already part of the move set. One of the goals in creating him was in order to fit some of the concepts you'd originally written for Chell that I cut from her rework. Since you'd originally crammed so much into her moves, I thought it'd be a waste not to revisit those ideas with a new character. I chose a burly croc both to fit those moves and to compliment her more humanoid but snake-like design. He's a male counterpart who is also reptilian but more overtly animal in design.

You guessed half right on the command grab though. He does make use of his tail for some attacks, but his command grab is actually inspired by a wrestling move called the dragon screw. A wrestler grabs an opponent's leg and then spins while dropping to the ground to flip them over.

Then it combines that with how crocodiles will actually fight (and mutilate) each other (and prey) by biting down on a leg and rolling over until they break or tear the limb off.

So, in this case, it's a forward lunge that has Deran bite down and lock the opponent in his jaws and then drop in a screw motion to slam them down with him.

Closest comparison is Zangief's Tundra Storm move in SFV/6.

Nice that you're recontextualizing some of the original ideas for Chell in a new character, game is going a long way, I even got the walking to work just fine. Once I get the movement not janky anymore I'll be able to work on a moveset for once.

We have most archetypes covered, honestly, all that is really missing is the psychic archetype, you know, Nesses, Roses, Athenas, those people. I have some other ideas, but I have all my archetypes covered. Any archetypes were missing, either from a conceptual or gameplay standpoint.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
DEV UPDATE: Got Walking, Running, Crouching, and Turning working, all the base ground movement options, now it is onto the aerial stats like Jumping and stuff.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Nice that you're recontextualizing some of the original ideas for Chell in a new character, game is going a long way, I even got the walking to work just fine. Once I get the movement not janky anymore I'll be able to work on a moveset for once.

We have most archetypes covered, honestly, all that is really missing is the psychic archetype, you know, Nesses, Roses, Athenas, those people. I have some other ideas, but I have all my archetypes covered. Any archetypes were missing, either from a conceptual or gameplay standpoint.
I wouldn't worry too much about trying to fill each archetype/sub-archetype under the sun. We've got a pretty good spread of characters so far, going well beyond even the base roster.

Aremi, Levi, Wynnie, Weevle, LAMBDA, EPSILON, Chell, Ahab, Kowalski, Rudder, Wyrm & Tamm, Erycles, Vespa, Guy, Kalin. the Myten Queen. Deran, Mob Shark (name pending,) and the other potential villainess (probably gonna go with the Canadian Goose and use Chihuahuas (small fry syndicate thugs) and Seagulls (idk yet) for adventure mode enemies.)

For a psychic in particular though, I do have some ideas, but it depends on what kind of "psychic" you have in mind? Lore wise, Ness, Rose, and Athena all have psychic or psychic inspired powers, but they're all pretty different from each other.

Is the prompt here an invitation to try anything or were you looking for something more specific?

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I wouldn't worry too much about trying to fill each archetype/sub-archetype under the sun. We've got a pretty good spread of characters so far, going well beyond even the base roster.

Aremi, Levi, Wynnie, Weevle, LAMBDA, EPSILON, Chell, Ahab, Kowalski, Rudder, Wyrm & Tamm, Erycles, Vespa, Guy, Kalin. the Myten Queen. Deran, Mob Shark (name pending,) and the other potential villainess (probably gonna go with the Canadian Goose and use Chihuahuas (small fry syndicate thugs) and Seagulls (idk yet) for adventure mode enemies.)

For a psychic in particular though, I do have some ideas, but it depends on what kind of "psychic" you have in mind? Lore wise, Ness, Rose, and Athena all have psychic or psychic inspired powers, but they're all pretty different from each other.

Is the prompt here an invitation to try anything or were you looking for something more specific?
Well Kalin isn't explicitly a psychic, but she has some psycokinetic abilities, mainly her side special and down special if you think hard enough, though again she is more of a mad scientist and teslamancer than psychic. (BTW now matter what I want those two moves kept in her rework, since they are perfect for her.)

As for an actual psychic, I don't think we have seen a hacker utilize the archtype in a fighting game, and a hacker is an obvious inclusion in a sci-fi game, like NEO is one of the most iconic psychics AND hackers in film, obviously not someone like him would be include, though Agent Smith's self-replication abilities would make a fun fighter, again these are just thoughts.

Last edited:

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion

I've been thinking, would it work that the villainess is based off the praying mantis, i know its not an animal everyone hates, but it fits the personality you're going for, female mantises eat their husbands for peet sake, and orchid mantises would be something cool to base a fighter on. Just a thought on the matter.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I've been thinking, would it work that the villainess is based off the praying mantis, i know its not an animal everyone hates, but it fits the personality you're going for, female mantises eat their husbands for peet sake, and orchid mantises would be something cool to base a fighter on. Just a thought on the matter.
You need to back off and get out of my head. How'd you know I was already making a mantis character?

Jokes aside, in a similar vein to Deran, I did have a mantis inspired character as part of a species that are relatives to the G'nats and took some elements that didn't make it onto weevles kit. Only difference is that she's not a villain.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
You need to back off and get out of my head. How'd you know I was already making a mantis character?

Jokes aside, in a similar vein to Deran, I did have a mantis inspired character as part of a species that are relatives to the G'nats and took some elements that didn't make it onto weevles kit. Only difference is that she's not a villain.
I mean insects and reptiles are the go-to alien species, and its only inevitable that we have some similar ideas.

Glubbfubb

Smash Champion
I know, I was only joking. Still an interesting coincidence though.
Yeah, if your wondering, my kit concept was going to revolve around trapping, using boomerang scythes to catch opponents, while finishing them off with a vice grip command grab.

Top Bottom