• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai Mentions Unused Character from Smash 64

Clefairy_Shadowed.jpg

The existence of a cut character in Super Smash Bros. 64 was recently rediscovered. Turns out an archived issue of Japanese gaming magazine The 64DREAM had an interview with Sakurai. In it he talks about the cut character, Clefairy from the Pokémon series.

Clefairy was planned to be a hidden character. All of Smash 64’s hidden characters were chosen because they can reuse assets, which was also the plan for Clefairy. The choice for which Pokémon could reuse assets from Kirby was between Jigglypuff and Clefairy. The former won out in the end because Sakurai thought Jigglypuff could bring a more interesting fighter concept. Clefairy still appears in Smash 64 as a Pokémon who can be summoned via the Poke Ball item.

Source Gaming recently made a video on the topic, please give it a look:

Edit: Despite being miraculously obscure until Source Gaming's video Smash Wiki actually had this tidbit of information on it since January of this year. Yes, really, the entire time!

Author’s Note: You guys remember that one episode of the Pokémon anime where Jigglypuff slapped a bunch of Clefairies? That kinda feels like an unintentional allegory for Clefairy getting cut from Smash 64 in favor of Jigglypuff. If it had been the other way around, what do you think Clefairy’s moveset would have been like? As always, let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Writing: Perkilator Perkilator
Thumbnail Graphic and Editing: Zerp Zerp
Special Thanks: Source Gaming, Smash Wiki and GoldenYuiitusin GoldenYuiitusin

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicholas “Perkilator” Perkins

Comments

I'm a huge Clefairy fan so this is AWESOME news for me. Like, a cut character would already be fascinating enough but Clefairy? That's amazing really. I gotta wonder what they would've been like, definitely would have to be pretty different from either Jigglypuff and Kirby. Could've been our first RNG character and predate Mr. Game and Watch if they had Metronome, which certainly would have been interesting.

didn't we already know this? cause i've definitely heard it before
I believe you're getting confused with Mewtwo, who Sakurai also mentioned. Alternatively you might have heard of Meowth, which was commonly rumored but never proven. But for Clefairy it'd either be from a Japanese source or some really obscure place, this one hasn't been documented as far as I can tell on any western sites until people noticed it very recently. Comes from this on page 91, here's an image I took highlighting the important bit as well as a rough google translation of it (Pippi is Clefairy's Japanese name).

Inb4 mandela effect

Last edited:
I believe you're getting confused with Mewtwo, who Sakurai also mentioned. Alternatively you might have heard of Meowth, which was commonly rumored but never proven. But for Clefairy it'd either be from a Japanese source or some really obscure place, this one hasn't been documented as far as I can tell on any western sites until people noticed it very recently. Comes from this on page 91, here's an image I took highlighting the important bit as well as a rough google translation of it (Pippi is Clefairy's Japanese name).

Inb4 mandela effect
I've brought it up months ago in the Speculation Thread finding the source on SmashWiki.

Last edited:
I've brought it up months ago in the Speculation Thread finding the source on SmashWiki.

Woah nice, where on earth did you learn about the magazine having it? Well that definitely explains how fogbadge fogbadge heard about it lol. Now I'm curious how people did not start documenting this until so recently then? I've heard rumors of it before but couldn't find it on TCRF or any news site until like just now, and was never told this until literally today, that's incredible. Clearly new to most of us too so I'm wondering how on earth this just stayed so obscure for so long, that's actually insane lol.

Woah nice, where on earth did you learn about the magazine having it? Well that definitely explains how fogbadge fogbadge heard about it lol. Now I'm curious how people did not start documenting this until so recently then? I couldn't find it on TCRF or any news site until like just now, and was never told this until literally today, that's incredible. Clearly new to most of us too so I'm wondering how on earth this just stayed so obscure for so long, that's actually insane lol.
I saw it on SmashWiki one day when doing research on characters that hadn't made the cut and happened to find that detail that no one talked about.

Woah nice, where on earth did you learn about the magazine having it? Well that definitely explains how fogbadge fogbadge heard about it lol. Now I'm curious how people did not start documenting this until so recently then? I've heard rumors of it before but couldn't find it on TCRF or any news site until like just now, and was never told this until literally today, that's incredible. Clearly new to most of us too so I'm wondering how on earth this just stayed so obscure for so long, that's actually insane lol.
there does seem to be a lot of facts that get easily missed or forgotten

Seems like it was added to the Smash Wiki in January this year, will add that to the article as that's definitely relevant. But also still insane how long it took for anyone to notice, and how it's only just now becoming sorta widespread lol. Thank you very much for bringing it up!

The existence of a cut character in Super Smash Bros. 64 was recently rediscovered. Turns out an archived issue of Japanese gaming magazine The 64DREAM had an interview with Sakurai. In it he talks about the cut character, Clefairy from the Pokémon series.

Clefairy was planned to be a hidden character. All of Smash 64’s hidden characters were chosen because they can reuse assets, which was also the plan for Clefairy. The choice for which Pokémon could reuse assets from Kirby was between Jigglypuff and Clefairy. The former won out in the end because Sakurai thought Jigglypuff could bring a more interesting fighter concept. Clefairy still appears in Smash 64 as a Pokémon who can be summoned via the Poke Ball item.

Source Gaming recently made a video on the topic, please give it a look:

Edit: Despite being miraculously obscure until Source Gaming's video Smash Wiki actually had this tidbit of information on it since January of this year. Yes, really, the entire time!

Author’s Note: You guys remember that one episode of the Pokémon anime where Jigglypuff slapped a bunch of Clefairies? That kinda feels like an unintentional allegory for Clefairy getting cut from Smash 64 in favor of Jigglypuff. If it had been the other way around, what do you think Clefairy’s moveset would have been like? As always, let us know in the comments below!

Credits:
Writing: Perkilator Perkilator
Thumbnail Graphic and Editing: Zerp Zerp
Special Thanks: Source Gaming, Smash Wiki and GoldenYuiitusin GoldenYuiitusin
This honestly changes a lot. Think about it like this: Sakurai has broken so many of these “fan rules” like ATs can’t be characters or Spirits can’t be characters, etc. I know people say Sakurai won’t cut the original 12, but who’s to say that won’t happen if there’s another Smash Bros. game? Jigglypuff could potentially be replaced with Clefairy if it does happen. Sakurai is full of surprises honestly so the chances of this happening are 50-50

...peeked into an alternate reality.
An reality of obedience...

Kirby is yellow.
Pink aka Clefairy is the mascot of Pokemon.
Wario is purple.
Waluigi is marine blue.
and...

Then the alarm clock rang!

Did you know that Cleafairy was originally going to be the mascot of Pokemon instead of Pikachu?
Yeah - this is why I'm not surprised it was explored to be used in the game. What the things could have been...

This honestly changes a lot. Think about it like this: Sakurai has broken so many of these “fan rules” like ATs can’t be characters or Spirits can’t be characters, etc. I know people say Sakurai won’t cut the original 12, but who’s to say that won’t happen if there’s another Smash Bros. game? Jigglypuff could potentially be replaced with Clefairy if it does happen. Sakurai is full of surprises honestly so the chances of this happening are 50-50
I rather have Meowth over Clefairy incase we're looking for Jiggs getting replaced. Also technically some fan rules do still apply, such as ATs not ever getting to be upgraded to fighters in the same game (Spring Man).

Last edited:
Top Bottom