• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Social Thread 3.2.1

What do you want most in a Switch Successor?

• Total voters

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
I edited my previous post but the Doctor for Princess and the Frog death was insane as well. Literally dragged to the depths of hell, screaming, kicking, and crawling for his life.

Man y'all remember when Disney just killed those villains with no remorse? Iirc the last one was Turbo from Wreck It Ralph (I did not watch Wish)

Noipoi

Howdy!
I edited my previous post but the Doctor for Princess and the Frog death was insane as well. Literally dragged to the depths of hell, screaming, kicking, and crawling for his life.

Man y'all remember when Disney just killed those villains with no remorse? Iirc the last one was Turbo from Wreck It Ralph (I did not watch Wish)
Technically the bad guy from Wish was indeed the latest real villain who wasn't just a misunderstood person with past trauma or whatever. But that character and that movie are so lame I barely even wanna count it.

If we don't count him...Tamatoa maybe? He wasn't the main antagonist but he was a villain with a rad song. That's pretty much all a Disney villain needs

Last edited:

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Technically the bad guy from Wish was indeed the latest real villain who wasn't just a misunderstood person with past trauma or whatever. But that character and that movie are so lame I barely even wanna count it.

If we don't count him...Tamatoa maybe? He wasn't the main antagonist but he was a villain with a rad song. That's pretty much all a Disney villain needs
Heck! From what I know...

King Magnifico (the villain from Wish) does not even die. He just gets trapped in a mirror shard for eternity.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So I worked in a theater when Wish was new and they ads kept saying it was "a story 100 years in the making". And you know what?

It would have been cool if it was a scrapped movie from the 1920s, recovered and then completed in 2023.

It wasn't that and I feel like that's false advertising so I will sue Disney and win

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
So here's a fun fact: when Hyena's laugh, that doesn't mean they find you amusing like majority of other animals do.

It means they're going to jump you and rip you to shreds.

So Scar's death? Pretty accurate. Ed knew what was up
There's moments implying that Ed's a lot smarter than he lets on.

Heck, I'm pretty sure even Jim Cummings described Ed as such.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
This Disney talk has me wondering, are we getting old?

Is the Disney Magic no longer working on us?

Or are the movies genuinely mid
I would say the movies are becoming mid, and Disney's magic no longer works on me and the rest of us.

Noipoi

Howdy!
This Disney talk has me wondering, are we getting old?

Is the Disney Magic no longer working on us?

Or are the movies genuinely mid
I don’t care how old I get, I love cartoons and I always will. And there’s still genuine good **** being made. Not to be a Dreamworks shill but The Bad Guys was fun, The Last Wish was amazing and The Wild Robot also looks amazing.

Now I can admit that some of my complaints with modern animation could just be me getting old and preferring the way things were done when I was a kid, but I really just think that these new Disney movies haven’t been hitting.

Wreck-It Ralph 2 was ass. Frozen 2 was mid. Raya was lame and bungled its entire message. I barely even remember Strange World. And now Wish was also lame.

Now I actually did like Encanto. I liked the songs and the characters and while the generational trauma stuff is a bit overplayed I think it worked decently enough for the story. And that tells me that it’s not a problem of me growing out of Disney movies, because this is a modern movie I really enjoy. It just means they haven’t been making great stuff recently.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
It's not the darkest villain death in a Disney movie, but Shan-Yu's is probably still my favorite.

The film's creators specifically and deliberately wanted to avoid having their villain fall to his death like tons of other Disney villains before him.

Needless to say, they more than succeeded with the more original and much grander send-off that they ultimately gave him.

Shroob

Sup?
Have you seen Lilo and Stitch?

If you have and you still hold this opinion, you can just stop talking to me forever because nothing you say will ever hold meaning to me anymore.
God, I ****ing love Lilo and Stitch man. Actual GOATed movie. Soo happy it didn't fall into the Disney black hole of the 2000s like movies like Atlantis or Treasure Planet did.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Have you seen Lilo and Stitch?

If you have and you still hold this opinion, you can just stop talking to me forever because nothing you say will ever hold meaning to me anymore.
I have but I also haven’t seen it in years. I also forgot about it because I don’t typically think of it when I think of Disney.

They have made some good movies. But I don’t think they deserve to be the cultural juggernaut they are now.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I have but I also haven’t seen it in years. I also forgot about it because I don’t typically think of it when I think of Disney.

They have made some good movies. But I don’t think they deserve to be the cultural juggernaut they are now.
They made amazing movies, and they did so for many years. Movies that touched the hearts of millions. Thats what made them a cultural juggernaut.

And as much as you’d probably enjoy it, a studio doesn’t just get that status suddenly revoked because they haven’t been living up to their legendary standards recently.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I feel ya lmao.

****ing had the, goddamn pogs that came with like, I wanna say the DVD or some board game of all the experiments.
As a child I desperately wanted merch of every single experiment, even though most of them didn’t even have official designs.

It’s okay though, now I can blow my life savings on merch of every pokemon instead :nifty:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
So I do have a couple core memories with Disney, but one I remember well was when I was in middle school. It was one of those teachers did not give a **** days, so she put on The Incredibles for us. Well, y'all know that one Elastigirl scene? The one with the mirror? Well long story short, the class went INSANE man, loud ass gasps, some damns, everyone talking and stuff. I seen that movie a thousand times by then but I didn't even know that was in the movie until that day.

Yeah middle school was definitely one of the times of my life, and it's really funny how things were back in the early 2000s because when that movie came it, out was scene as a bad thing to have such an enhanced posterior.

Never said Disney was one for foresight.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
So I do have a couple core memories with Disney, but one I remember well was when I was in middle school. It was one of those teachers did not give a **** days, so she put on The Incredibles for us. Well, y'all know that one Elastigirl scene? The one with the mirror? Well long story short, the class went INSANE man, loud ass gasps, some damns, everyone talking and stuff. I seen that movie a thousand times by then but I didn't even know that was in the movie until that day.

Yeah middle school was definitely one of the times of my life, and it's really funny how things were back in the early 2000s because when that movie came it, out was scene as a bad thing to have such an enhanced posterior.

Never said Disney was one for foresight.
We've traced it back to the source.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Sparky is the only Disney Channel TV show character to appear in a Kingdom Hearts game, as well as the only one to appear in one with a major role like as a boss, no less.

And Angel is one of the few, if not only Disney Channel TV show characters to show up in merchandise along with the franchise's main characters regularly.

And that's in addition to a ton of other Experiments from the show turning up in other spin-off material and promotional videos like that one High-School Musical basketball short parody.

The influence of the Lilo and Stich TV series is absolutely insane when compared to so many other Disney TV shows based on their animated films and I love it.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
They made amazing movies, and they did so for many years. Movies that touched the hearts of millions. Thats what made them a cultural juggernaut.

And as much as you’d probably enjoy it, a studio doesn’t just get that status suddenly revoked because they haven’t been living up to their legendary standards recently.
That’s fair. Just because I haven’t liked a majority of what they’ve put out doesn’t mean their entire library is garbage.

I will say though that the “Disney Magic” that so many people talk about never worked on me, and that colored my perception in a different way.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
That said, I was a Dreamworks kid growing up. They were on a hot streak too growing up, Shrek 1 and 2, Madagascar 1 and 2, I think I was an Over the Hedge fan as well, I had a sleeping bag with the characters of that movie on it.
We've traced it back to the source.
Yeah, that was a formative memory, kinda shaped up my taste I guess.

Nah jk it was Esmerelda that did it for me.

osby

Smash Obsessed

Cruella lowkey had a pretty fun villain with zero shame about being evil.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Remember when Disney used to release films they thought were too dark and wanted less association with under Touchstone Pictures? A studio label that didn't really exist for any other reason?

The success of The Nightmare Before Christmas might have been what eventually convinced them to drop it.

Top Bottom