• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Next Smash - Speculation & Discussion Thread

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Heavy would make for a great character in Smash, but there's always going to be a ceiling for support until TF2 ends up on Switch/Switch 2. Even getting beyond whether appearance on a Nintendo console is necessity, there's enough fans that seemingly believe as such that will limit potential rallying for him or anyone prominent in Team Fortress 2.

Even Master Chief, as unlikely has he might be, at least has the occasional cooperation between Microsoft and Nintendo for people to point to. Portal ports wot Switch aside, Valve just doesn't have that.
When it comes to characters that don't have their games on Nintendo platform, I'm sure Master Chief tops both in popularity and possibility.

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
on the topic of Valve...

I know there was a push during Ultimate for some sort of TF2 rep (usually the Heavy). What do you think is gonna happen to that "movement" now that Deadlock exists? ninja edit: My guess is things gradually switch gears to Gordon Freeman.
Things will stay the same, I'm envisioning TF2's support to increase a bit since Ultimate started the serious push beforehand. No sane person is going to ask for a character from Deadlock, that game looks like hot trash and a lot of Valve fans are not too interested in it.

Heavy would make for a great character in Smash, but there's always going to be a ceiling for support until TF2 ends up on Switch/Switch 2.
This is not going to happen, ever.

Valve barely maintains TF2 as-is; granted, they've gotten a little better, but that was only after a massive player outcry at how unplayable the game was due to instakill botters and cheaters plaguing every server imaginable.

The only times they did port TF2 to consoles was at launch. In 2007. And they've never received an update since; all the new content exclusively goes to the PC version. At this point, the console and PC versions of TF2 are completely different games.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
As much as I adore TF2, the movement for Smash will never really go anywhere. The crossover appeal between Valve and Nintendo fans is there because the characters are dynamic and cartoony, but if we're being completely honest there's very little chance it would edge out Half Life or Portal representation if by some miracle we DID get Valve involved with Smash Bros. It's a shame because it's always been something of a pipe dream of mine, but it really is just that.

Under some lens someone is probably pulling for Heavy to be Valve's "Banjo", but TF2 lacks Banjo's intrinsic Nintendo legacy and a good 15 more years of continued fan support outside of a community splinter and subreddit campaign. I'm always down to shoot the **** about how TF2 would be portrayed in Smash, but if we're gonna ever talk seriously about Valve's already slim odds of being called up then I don't think TF2 is a serious part of that conversation.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I mean, both Goldeneye 007 and Perfect Dark got some content before as items. We have gotten items from a 3rd party franchise only before. The caveat is that they did change it out, but only because of Rareware leaving, thus, it was no longer 1st party(but Goldeneye is still 3rd party no matter how you go about it).

That also said, it's pretty rare anyway. And this is ignoring, say, Assist Trophies(Shovel Knight, Rayman) who are effectively the same thing. It absolutely could happen again. But who knows.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I love TF2, It's one of my most played games of all time. I think it has no shot for Smash, aside from no Nintendo connections, Valve does not really seem to care that much about TF2. Like they will do the annual fanmade content updates, but aside from that it is basically in maintenance mode.

I also think the vocal support for Heavy for smash is heavily influenced by the fact that TF2 fans don't shut up, are very overzealous and try to shove TF2 into anything even if they don't know what they are doing.

I am like 90% sure the only reason heavy was so high up on that SourceGaming poll was only because it was posted to r/tf2

Portal on the other hand, has 3 games on Switch (Portal 1, Portal 2 and Bridge Constructor Portal) and is one of the most iconic puzzle games of the 2000s

Problem with portal is that Chell, Atlas or P-Body as fighters would take some serious liberties to not only feel like the characters but also not feel forced, but I could see it

Gordon Freeman is one of the most iconic FPS characters of all time, from one of the most influential FPS games of all time, and a series that got a game within the last 5 years. I think Gordon has the best shot, especially if HL2 gets a Switch port like Portal.

Deadlock is a lot of fun with a lot of interesting characters IMO

Seven, Abrams and Ivy could all be really fun picks in Smash

It's never gonna ****ing happen, especially since the game technically hasn't even been announced

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I miss this move actually. Functionally Winged Pikmin are a much stronger recovery move, but it’s just a recovery. I’m not super into attacks like that these days, I’d like a little extra function and Pikmin Chain does grant Olimar a little vertical poke coverage.

Pikmin Chain incentivizes Olimar to stay diligent and have Pikmin on him at all times, the kind of resource management that should be highlighted through the character. This recovery is more efficient if you DON’T have your most valuable resource on hand, which feels a bit strange when you compare. Olimar has always been a good character, even when he had Pikmin Chain, so frankly I don’t think having a weaker recovery is an issue for him and other characters (see: Icies, Robin) do rely on some resource management to utilize their recovery. It doesn’t feel out of place.

It’s also just IMO more creative, it feels like a nicer extension of the character and another unique way to command your army. Winged Pikmin allow us to represent another Pikmin type and that’s all well and good but it’s very much a “summon” move and I think I generally find it more satisfying when an attack organically flows off the character’s design / properties. So yeah, it pretty much relies on Olimar getting back more than three Pikmin, but if he does I hope we will see this return someday.
Is it weird to say that part of why I wish Olimar kept Pikmin Chain was because I wished Alph would have Winged Pikmin (to separate the two)?

Yeah, even if they don't bring back Pikmin Chain, I'd like to see something with a similar effect like some sort of Pikmin powered rocket belt that sends you higher the more Pikmin you have. Kinda like Bomberman's up special in Super Smash Flash 2, but with the gimmick attached. In no way should throwing away your Pikmin potentially to their doom be incentivized.
Ngl, the reason I'm holding out hope that no character has this kind of recovery yet is because that's precisely what I wanted Lark to have in his moveset.

The other character is Bowser Jr. Bowser Jr is everywhere, I cannot stress this enough - one of the biggest Nintendo characters to debut in the 2000s, and he is in pretty much every Mario game nowadays. He is far more frequently prominent within the Mario brand compared to Rosalina, another secondary pick for the series in Smash. Mario, like Pokemon, has a huge crop of characters likely to be scaled down. Both of these characters are somewhat unpopular to play in Smash, but between the two I think its obvious that Rosalina provides the more distinct gameplay hook through her puppet oriented gameplay. Bowser Jr feels more derivative and maybe not all there. And people seem willing to address this, Rosalina is often prioritized over him in heavier cut scenarios largely for this reason. Meanwhile Bowser Jr is, inarguably, one of the modern series mascots present across the span of games, multimedia projects such as the amusement park and so forth. If we were to apply the same toward Lucario, and cut him in favor of keeping Incineroar or Jigglypuff, what makes that especially egregious in contrast?
This is sort of a reply to ALL of the Bowser Jr. posts I've seen thus far, but if I may quickly say? I'm surprised that so many seem to find Jr. and the Koopalings to be 'nothing-burgers'. I actually find them quite fun, and honestly?

I PRAY the Koopalings are never removed from Jr. (barring via a grand miracle that the Smash Bros. dev team manages to SOMEHOW give them each special attributes). Heck, their inclusion in Smash 4 is what made me interested in wanting Jr. in Smash again.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Yeah, sadly, I don't see a Valve character happening at all. I agree that it should probably be Gordan if it were to happen, but you know....
The choice of Valve character comes down to one thing.

Does Sakurai want to implement the Gravity Gun in Smash. Or the Portal Gun.

This is what will decide whether Gordon or Chell gets in.

Last edited:

Gorgonzales

Smash Lord
The choice of Valve character comes down to one thing.

Does Sakurai want to implement the Gravity Gun in Smash. Or the Portal Gun.

This is what will decide whether Gordon or Chell gets in.
I don't imagine why he wouldn't want to. The gravity gun and portal gun are iconic character-defining tools and they would instantly make Gordon and Chell stand out in the cast. "Doing something nobody else can do" is a major factor when it comes to deciding characters to add.

Programming-wise, I can't see either of those being harder to implement than Steve's everything.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I don't imagine why he wouldn't want to. The gravity gun and portal gun are iconic character-defining tools and they would instantly make Gordon and Chell stand out in the cast. "Doing something nobody else can do" is a major factor when it comes to deciding characters to add.

Programming-wise, I can't see either of those being harder to implement than Steve's everything.
I think Darth meant it more like "which of these two intrigues him more", less so "does he want to bother with it". Might be interpreting it wrong myself, though.

In any case yeah, as daunting as something like Portal seems (Gordon would be easy tbh) I pretty much believe nothing is off the table after Steve. Maybe a Portal Gun would be more easily envisioned as just an item, but I would love to see what kind of shenanigans they can squeeze out of a full moveset. That's kinda why out of every option I think Chell fascinates me the most. Just the most potential for some really weird, unique stuff.

I know we just got done talking about Rivals yesterday, but the first thing that comes to mind is something akin to Orcane. Or I guess Rick in Multiversus too? Seems like a fair amount of games have already toyed around with this premise actually, so I'm sure Smash could work something effective out.

Last edited:

Scrimblo Bimblo

Smash Ace
I'm almost done with Starfy 3 and now I really want the little guy in Smash.
He'd just fit in so naturally. He has a ton of animations ready to go (walk, run, duck, jump, double jump, dash attack) and honestly there's enough combat in these games that it's easy to imagine his playstyle. He has supreme mobility but very short-ranged attacks, so you usually need to be pretty calculating about when to stay out of danger and when to attack. Also he bounces backwards a little everytime he hits something, that could be a fun thing to implement. He could fill the hit and run role pretty well.
The specials are also easy to imagine, he has the spin, the piercing dash, the glide, a clam friend who shoots him upward like the ball in Arkanoid... And he'd bring with himself the first underwater stage and some catchy Kirby-like music.

I know he has 0 chances and that makes me sad. Happy to have played these games though, they're really fun and unique platformers.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Is it weird to say that part of why I wish Olimar kept Pikmin Chain was because I wished Alph would have Winged Pikmin (to separate the two)?

Ngl, the reason I'm holding out hope that no character has this kind of recovery yet is because that's precisely what I wanted Lark to have in his moveset.

This is sort of a reply to ALL of the Bowser Jr. posts I've seen thus far, but if I may quickly say? I'm surprised that so many seem to find Jr. and the Koopalings to be 'nothing-burgers'. I actually find them quite fun, and honestly?

I PRAY the Koopalings are never removed from Jr. (barring via a grand miracle that the Smash Bros. dev team manages to SOMEHOW give them each special attributes). Heck, their inclusion in Smash 4 is what made me interested in wanting Jr. in Smash again.
I'd still rather have Jr separated from the Koopalings. I feel you could do more with them that way.

Just to clarify though, I'm not asking for Jr to be stripped of his clown car or for the Koopalings to be removed from the game. What I'd like to see is for Jr to replace a few normals like the fork and hammer with his paintbrush, while the Koopalings also get a few changes to incorporate the wands and maybe some of their individual attacks.

I think it'd be neat if you traded the standard cannon with Roy's Bill Blaster for example or swap out the mecha koopa for Lemmy's bouncing bombs. Basically turning the Koopalings into a semi clone of Jr. They all still ride the clown cars but have a few different attacks/specials to set them apart.

Only thing you'd need to work out after that is who gets the 8 slot on the Koopaling side. I still think Nabbit makes the most sense but I think there's wiggle room for a few other options.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I think Darth meant it more like "which of these two intrigues him more", less so "does he want to bother with it". Might be interpreting it wrong myself, though.
Pretty much that.

Though I can imagine a lot of ways the Portal Gun could end up breaking the game.

HyperSomari64

Smash Master
Can't waiting for the talk about Zero (Mega Man X/Zero), and someone say "Re:Zero" and then put an image of that light novel/anime (the one with the Cat Boy and the twins) and says "oops, wrong Re:Zero" and then rectify it with RE: Zero (Mega Man). I'm in with that joke lmao

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Can't waiting for the talk about Zero (Mega Man X/Zero), and someone say "Re:Zero" and then put an image of that light novel/anime (the one with the Cat Boy and the twins) and says "oops, wrong Re:Zero" and then rectify it with RE: Zero (Mega Man). I'm in with that joke lmao
"Re:Zero should have a character in Smash."

"Look we all want Rebecca Chambers in SSB, but chances are Claire, Chris, Leon, or Jill take precedent."

Last edited:

BritishGuy54

Smash Ace
So about the recent Pokémon leaks… I’m sure many people are excited to be finding out interesting things such as unintended folklore, beta designs, and character bios (especially Skyla’s, it seems, Jesus Christ).

But the leaks seem to have implied that Pokémon Legends Z-A was going to release in 2024, before being pushed back to 2025.

So we’re likely looking at a repeat of Legends Arceus/Scarlet & Violet with a game early in the year and a game later in the year.

Perhaps we will see a Direct at some point soon with news about Z-A, as well as Metroid Prime 4, DCKR HD, and possibly the Switch 2 itself.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
I feel like the only way that would happen would be if you were the one to do it.

"Re:Zero should have a character in Smash."

"Look we all want Rebecca Chambers in SSB, but chances are Claire, Chris, Leon, or Jill take precedent."
I mean, if we got an RE character like Jill or Claire and they were designed around the old school tank control days, I could see Rebecca sneaking in as a costume. If we do get RE content though, I'd be happy with a Rebecca AT. She could be a new healer type that follows you around and applies green herbs or a first aid spray if you're lucky.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
So we’re likely looking at a repeat of Legends Arceus/Scarlet & Violet with a game early in the year and a game later in the year.
If that was the case, we would’ve seen gameplay by now. The fact that we haven’t yet likely means that TPC is letting Game Freak cook and ZA is releasing later in 2025, while Gen X comes out in 2026.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So about the recent Pokémon leaks… I’m sure many people are excited to be finding out interesting things such as unintended folklore, beta designs, and character bios (especially Skyla’s, it seems, Jesus Christ).

But the leaks seem to have implied that Pokémon Legends Z-A was going to release in 2024, before being pushed back to 2025.

Perhaps we will see a Direct at some point soon with news about Z-A, as well as Metroid Prime 4, DCKR HD, and possibly the Switch 2 itself.
I dunno about all that. I think when they delayed ZA to 2025, they delayed Gen 10 to 2026 as well.

I mean if ZA was rapidly approaching, you think we’d have seen even a smidgen of gameplay by now :nifty:

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Thats what im hoping for TBH!
Or Toy Link (either as a costume or full character) Hes my favourite!
Honestly, regular Link doing his own thing is the biggest thing that might save Young Link. I know he's an almost unanimously agreed cut but I could see a timeline where Young Link to sort of serve as the "Classic" Link.

Heck, that's kinda his role in Ultimate already. He plays far closer to Smash 4 Link than the others (and even inherited a taunt) to the point I think Smash 4 Link IS Young Link while Botw Link was the new one made. On top of that, he's used to represent the Triforce of Courage in World of Light, he's the one grouped with Ganondorf and Zelda there.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Thoughts on SSB4 vets:
Villager doesn't vibe with me, but I see no problem with them.

Mega Man desperately needs a facelift. He doesn't have to use his Mega Man 11 design, but for the love of fun let the kid have nuanced expressions and voice lines. His gameplay though, while difficult to wrap your head around, is absolutely perfect once you do. The only thing I'm kinda sad about is that he'll probably lose the ability to cancel Leaf Shield by grabbing/tossing items in the next game, which would make it useless again.

Wii Fit Trainer is a mess. I'm not sure they're unsalvageable, but they need focus. Given her projectiles, the fact that Deep Breathing wants you to go in, and the lack of body hitboxes making it hard for her to do so my guess is she's supposed to be a setup zoner of some kind. There's two major problems with that though: 1, Sun Salutation and Header don't set up anything, in fact, it's more likely for other factors to set up Header. 2, Sun Salutation and Header are so strong and her normals are so awkward to land a hit with that she ends up not ever wanting to go in without Deep Breathing.
I don't know if this would necessarily work, but here's my proposal for her: Header has been adjusted so it's easier to make the ball a lingering threat. Mainly, it doesn't just rocket off stage when hit with most attacks. Perhaps you could even make it launch toward Wii Fit Trainer when you hit it with Sun Salutation, which now also sets up combos at low charge. Deep Breathing has been reworked to a longer lasting, 3-tiered buff. Tier 1 ups damage, and gives certain moves slight disjoint, as the guide arrows from her exorcise demonstration videos appear, acting as smears and the like. Tier 2 causes her moves to pulse a colored sillouette when she strikes the full pose, giving her body hitboxes, and upping her damage a bit more. Tier 3 turns her into the absolute monster that it used to, and opponents will want to avoid allowing her to get this far.
Each tier of Deep Breathing takes more time to reach than the last (and using the move during tier 3 just heals her), so her gameplan will be to use her projectiles zone out opponents so she can use Deep Breathing, setting up combos to get her damage in in the meantime. Once in teir 1, she's able to play the midrange game a lot better, and in teir 2, she's able to actually scrap with opponents, though she'll still want to rely on Header and Sun Salutation to control space. She generally won't be allowed to reach teir 3, but if she is, she becomes a character to fear, with a ton of kill confirms.

Rosalina & Luma are good. I've seen people dissatisfied with how Luma is controlled, and maybe there needs to be more of an indicator of how far it goes or something, but it's not like the premise isn't solid.

Little Mac at the very least needs to be able to interact with platforms. He doesn't need to have a stellar air game, but he needs to be able to get up to platforms and challenge opponents that are trying to run away from him. Dunno the best way to do that, but it needs to happen.

Greninja is fine I guess. The skill floor is too high for me, but they're fun sometimes.

Mii Brawler is pretty good, though some of their specials need some rebalancing to make sure the others are good enough in comparison. Mii Gunner is pretty good, though she's a bit too evocative of Samus, and some of their moves are like...why? Mii Swordfighter has problems that throw the whole trio out of whack. I think their midrangeish projectile zoner playstyle is cool, and they do have the ability to play more aggressive as well, but the fact that they're a projectile zoner conflicts with the fact that that's supposed to be Mii Gunner's thing. That, and he's supposed to be the basic swordfighter character. There's something to be said about allowing the custom characters have diverse ways to play them, but in that case the other two need the ability to play in ways that break the mold of their archetype too, but also even in that case, there's no build for Mii Swordfighter that allows for them to play as a normal swordfighter and that should be rectified too.

Palutena is fine. I somewhat agree with the idea that she's not as interesting as she could be and she doesn't exhude the power she should as a goddess, but as a baseline, I think she's fine, and I don't really have any strong opinions about her.

Pac-Man is probably as he should be. Maybe he's a bit overtuned, but that's not really an inherent design problem. There are a few characters that can't deal with him at all, but I think that's more a them problem than a Pac-Man problem.

Robin has a good idea, and most people seem to be satisfied with the execution of it. I have seen a decent amount of complaints that he just kinda gets punished for playing the game by having his special moves be tied to a resource when they're not even especially powerful. I've also heard the argument that the management aspect of his gameplay is negated by optimization; he gains nothing for not being optimal, so being optimal is the only choice, and then you get punished for it. While I'm not sure I'd go that far, I do agree that durability has very little risk/reward going on, and could benefit from giving the special moves extra options that cost more durability. Have players ask if they want to use the more powerful tool now, or wait until it's going to have a lot more impact, kinda like how the risk/reward is managed with Thoron now.

Shulk needs some cleaning up, but for reasons I've stated earlier, I think the direction they took him in makes sense, and has the potential to be good, but it's still got a few kinks, and there is some missed potential with how Vision works.

Bowser Jr. isn't generic. His attacks are actually quite creative, and his special moves can be pretty interesting as well. He's just...his moveset doesn't come together. He's a heavy, but not really. He's got setups, but they're difficult to pull off. He has an item, but that's more of an afterthought. Everything in his kit is just kinda half baked. I don't even know what direction I'd take him in, but he's going to need a much more focused vision going forward.

Duck Hunt is perfect, except I don't really like the current implimentation of Clay Pigeon. Kind of a minor thing though.

Ryu feels clunky to me, and I think he'd benefit from being given the option to do strong attacks with the grab button (you could still grab by pressing attack + shield). You could frame it like a classic/modern controls thing. I would also like the option for all command input characters to have the option to disable command inputs from the attack button, requiring the special move button to be pressed, but I care about that less. Aside from that I'm not sure I have too many strong opinions about him or Ken.

No opinion on Cloud.

Corrin feels like he should be more interesting than he is. I do wonder if his pin shenanigans were too much in the previous game so the backpedaled too much, but I don't like that pin is only useful for hitting people on the ledge now.

Bayonetta is mostly fine. I kinda wish Witch Time slowed you down a bit more, but I understand why it doesn't.

ninjahmos

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
If the next game keeps Mii Fighters, they should definitely add in more styles, but I think they should also add in more Specials to choose from for each style.

Also, DLC Mii Costumes should include more music.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Oh yeah, if they bring back Counter Throw for Mii Brawler, they should buff it because it is hilariously bad as is. At the very least, Punch and Pikmin based normals shouldn't ignore it, and it's detection hitbox should probably be similar to Sora's.
A suggestion I've seen is that, if you use it against a projectile, Mii Brawler should grab the projectile and throw it back.

I'm not entirely sure how useful that'd be since there'd be a delay before the object is reflected that no other reflector besides Pocket would have (and then Pocket lets you throw the projectile back anytime instead of immediately,) but it'd be incredibly cool-looking when it does work out.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Writing Team
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
A suggestion I've seen is that, if you use it against a projectile, Mii Brawler should grab the projectile and throw it back.

I'm not entirely sure how useful that'd be since there'd be a delay before the object is reflected that no other reflector besides Pocket would have (and then Pocket lets you throw the projectile back anytime instead of immediately,) but it'd be incredibly cool-looking when it does work out.
Maybe to differentiate it from Pocket, using Counter Throw on a projectile would only throw it back if it’s a physical projectile? And then with energy-based projectiles, the Brawler could simply dodge it. It ain’t much, but it’s better than a counter with an already pitiful detection area just outright failing against projectiles.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Maybe to differentiate it from Pocket, using Counter Throw on a projectile would only throw it back if it’s a physical projectile? And then with energy-based projectiles, the Brawler could simply dodge it. It ain’t much, but it’s better than a counter with an already pitiful detection area just outright failing against projectiles.
Nah, seeing the Mii somehow grab lasers and giant plasma orbs and whatnot out of the air with their bare hands would be too cool to make it be physical projectiles only.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Yeah, to parrot what I said in the Unpopular Opinion Thread, we only have four mage characters.

:ultzelda::ultpalutena::ultrobin::ulthero:

And that's counting spell swords as mages. Palutena does use her staff but she uses tons of light magic too. Plus staffs are like THE mage weapon.

:ultness::ultmewtwo::ultlucas:

These guys use psychic powers which is kind of mage like, but I can't count it as a true mage like the above four.

Top Bottom